Thursday 2 February 2012

3 - Cymbeline

This was a completetely new one on me, although I had somehow heard about the old 'Trunk in the bedroom like the Trojen horse' trick. However, to say this has a convoluted group of plot-strands would be an understatement. The last scene has everyone chipping in to fill in the gaps and explain what had gone on. I know Shakespeare likes to mix things up but this is a twist too far for me.

It was also the second play so far to have someone parading around with a severed head - first Philip with Austria's in 'King John' and now Guiderius with Cloten's. Is this to be another regular along with the multiple Bastards? I can see I'll have to keep a head count (sorry, couldn't resist).

I was amazed to see the word ‘brogues’ turn up in this play.
"I thought he slept, and put
My clouted brogues from off my feet."
Arviragus - 'Cymbeline, Act IV, scene 2

Turns out a brogue was originally a leather shoe worn in boggy areas with holes in it to let the water run out. (I got that from Wikipedia so it must be true). Shakespeare himself wore them but preferred them without the perforations - hence the expression "No Holes Bard" (I'm sorry! Really sorry! I'll stop now)

Final thoughts – What’s with Posthumus’ acid-trip dream sequence? Is this the Bard putting the E in E-lizabethan?

-