Tuesday 28 February 2012

7 - Much Ado About Nothing

This is possibly my second favourite Shakespeare play – at least for now as I’m only seven down and have thirty-one to go. Anything could happen! Regardless, this play stands out for two very good reasons. I speak of courses of the Bard’s brace of bickering badinage boasters; Beatrice and Benedick. With the excellent jibes, quips and put-downs theirs must be some of the best dialogue in the whole ‘folio’ portfolio! For me they easily snatch the ‘Best Shakespearean Lovers’ award away from Romeo and Juliet

Robert Lindsay and Cheri Lunghi
Mention the tiff-tastic twosome and most people will no doubt think of Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh from the film adaptation. But I prefer the pairing of Cherie Lunghi and Robert Lindsay in the BBC Shakespeare version. Although, going on the comic chemistry shown in Doctor Who, I’m betting the Catherine Tate and David Tennant production last year would have been well worth a look-see. But my all time favourite pairing has to be that of my lovely wife and myself, who got to perform one scene from the play back in our student days. (Biased I know but it’s my Blog, so there!)

Final Thoughts - Claudio at one point exclaims: “What men daily do, not knowing what they do!” Personally I know all too well what I daily do and so do my family (but they just open a window or light a match!) 

-