Wednesday 2 January 2013

35 - Hamlet

This is by far Billy-Boy Bard's best tragedy and stands out as an example of his genius. I would say it's my favourite play but that is reserved for a comedy so he'll have to be happy with best tragedy. Although some people lump this in with the Problem Plays for some reason!

I should also like to take this opportunity to pay  homage to another great playwright, Tom Stoppard, who's wonderful 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead' masterfully weaves an ingenious parallel comedy into the tale of the Danish prince. If you can I suggest you read the two back to back or at least see the 1990 movie with Messrs Roth and Oldman.

Speaking of films I am ashamed to say that of all the excellent cinema adaptations of Hamlet out there I have only see Mel Gibson's! (I feel dirty just admitting that) I promise to rectify that mistake very soon but am torn between Olivier and Branagh.

And finally - The true moral of the play must be not to over think the issue as the procrastinating-princes' death-debate leads to an unhealthy revenge-ratio of eight for the price of one!

-