Thursday 3 January 2013

37 - Twelfth Night

I left the best until last, partly to see if any other of Shakespeare’s works could top it but for me it still reigns supreme.

This is probably the play by Billy-Boy that I have seen the most over the years. I can remember clearly my first run in with it when, aged eight and as part of my drama club’s showcase evening, I saw four older kids perform the duel scene between Viola and Sir Andrew and loved it. At the time I had no idea what it was from and it was only when I studied the text later in secondary school that I made the connection. 

For the play as a whole I can think off-hand of at least five different stage productions I’ve seen including one by the RSC with Antony Sher as Malvolio, a version directed by Peter Hall and one at Regents Park's 'Open Air Theatre' whose only star I can remember just now was Ruth Madoc! There have also been numerous screen versions including both the BBC’s and, my particular favourite, Kenneth Branagh’s ‘Renaissance Theatre’ production (I remember taping that one and then practically watching it weekly.)

My biggest draw to the play is Feste - my favourite character in all of Shakespeare. Although he has no soliloquy to speak of it was a mash-up of his original chastisement of Olivia that finally won me a place a drama school, so I have a lot to thank him for. And almost everything he says could count as my favourite line from the Bard, although I do also crumble every time I hear Sir Andrew say “I was ador'd once too”.

And Finally – Thank you to everyone who has taken time to read these mad ramblings. If has been a fun challenge and very rewarding. I may not have completed it within one year but at least I finished before Twelfth Night (see what I did there?) All that’s left is to miss-quote from my favourite clown and say – 
"But that’s all one, my blog is done,
And I’ll strive to please you another day…"

-